Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cleaning My Bedroom

I was thinking today about being clean, spiritually and physically. I have heard many times that the Spirit cannot dwell in unclean places, spiritually and physically.

My home teacher said that being in my apartment helped him feel the Spirit because it was clean. Clean and orderly. As he was saying this the sad state of my bedroom popped into my mind. It is a disaster. This made me think about my life at this time. From the outside I look all clean and orderly, full of the Spirit and testimony, but behind the closed door of my soul is a disaster. A disaster that I am going to take on.

Elder Uchtdorf spoke during my graduation from BYU-I and he focused on (or at least what stood out to me) the scripture D&C 88:119 that states:

 119 aOrganize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a bhouse, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;


This didn't really make a whole lot of sense to me at the time (partly because I was so excited to be done with school). But today this makes sense. Today this is where I need to focus.


How do I know my life is a disaster? I know this because I feel unworthy to receive help from my Savior. I know this because of the fear and uncertainty I feel.


Maybe eventually I can even clean my closet, you know the one where the secrets hide. ;)