Sunday, August 14, 2011

Overcoming the Natural Man - Submissiveness - What I learned

One of the most significant things I learned this week was in a talk given to me by my institute teacher.

In Alma 29, Alma declares:

"O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!

Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth,

But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me."

Then six verses later he states,

"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance, and this is my joy."

Elder Maxwell points out, "In just a few words, a major insight came to the conscientious and the converted through Alma: "For I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me." However, just prior, Alma urgently desired to be the "trump of God" so that he might "shake the earth." But not because of ego; in fact, Alma wanted to declare repentance and the plan of redemption to all mankind so that there might be no more human sorrow. Yet Alma's contentment rested on the reality that God finally allots to us according to our wills. What could be more fair?"

Submitting to the Lord is more than accepting what we have been given, it is doing all that we can to make the most of what we have. It is not enough to say to the Lord I will accept what I have been given, though this is a very important step it doesn't stop there. We must then look at what we have and get to work. Ask yourself: Who do I have contact with? Who do I have influence over? Who can I serve? What can I do to improve myself? etc.

Elder Maxwell says in the quote above that "Alma's contentment rested on the reality that God finally allots to us according to our wills." We will receive our righteous desires.

For almost a year I buried myself in self-pity. I looked at my allotment with discontent and wished for something more. Now that I have become more submissive it was an important reminder that I not only need to accept what I have given I must cultivate and grow what I have.

- Elder Maxwell "Content with the Things Allotted Unto Us"

1 comment:

  1. Love it. How interesting that you bring up the natural man and ego. My brother and I just had an amazing talk about that having to do with the logical and emotional process of forgiveness.

    This is a great post because you're right, we not only need to accept god's will - but we must move forward with it. Just as faith takes action - so does being submissive.

    ReplyDelete