Sunday, January 27, 2013

Attach Purpose to Pain

A friend of mine was telling me about this public speaker that she heard. His name is Mike Schlappi. He was shot by his best friend when he was 14 which paralyzed him from the chest down. His whole story is pretty amazing but the thing she told me about that really touched me and I feel inclined to write down so I don't forget was this concept that he talked about.

He said to attach a purpose to your pain. Attach a reason to what you are going through.

The example that she gave to me was this. If someone asked you to put out your arm so they could cut it off your thought would be NO! That sounds painful. But if someone asked you to put out your arm so they could cut it off and it would save your child's life. Pain is not a problem any more.

We are going to go through a lot of painful experiences. But if we can attach a purpose to that pain, the pain suddenly becomes bearable.

So profound.

2 comments: