Monday, September 17, 2012

Happiness

Mormon 9:14 "[...] he that is happy shall be happy still; and he that is unhappy shall be unhappy still."

This weekend we had stake conference. Our stake specifically had a theme at the Saturday evening session. It was on choosing to be happy now. This was something that was already on my mind so I just ate it up.

Sadness and disappointment are events in life not life itself.

I have always heard and believed that being happy was as simple as waking up each day and choosing to be happy, and to a point it is but i also learned that there are few pre-requisites to being able to make that choice.

1 - we must be grateful for our many blessings
2 - we must keep the commandments
3 - we must serve others
4 - we must be productive each day
5 - we must try to be healthy (getting enough sleep/exercise)
6 - we must make friends
7 - we must be quick to observe the beauty of God's creations
8 - we must be quick to forgive and slow to anger
9 - we must do our best

Choosing to be happy is all about action. It's not merely saying "I'm going to be happy today." It's about doing those things that bring pure happiness. It's about recognizing the blessings. I have noticed for me that sometimes I perceive the Lord's blessings in my life as major trials. How could that be? How could I so foolishly mistake good to be evil and evil to be good?

It is because though I have been doing the Lord's will I still think I know what I need better. I either do it murmuring or with a desire to change His mind. In order to choose happiness I need to choose the Lord and accept the path he has set before me. I need to believe that he can make me more than I could ever make myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment